Monday, July 24, 2017

Life Highlights: The One Where Douglass Becomes Part of Star Wars History and Bad Fanfiction is Written


Today's Life Highlight is related to going to Disneyland today to sign a steel beam that will form part of the tallest point in the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge ride! I went in just to sign it so that Douglass could have a bit of Disney posterity (since Disneyland jaunts and Star Wars are two things near and dear to our group's heart).

Today was the last day to sign it (after only being available for three days), and it already bore the marks of what looked like every cast member at the Resort! It was definitely full, as pictured below:


However, I found a place to sign! I actually signed three different portions.  One (just my name) on the upper structure of the beam by where the people are squatting to sign in the left portion of the picture.  It was done with a King-Sized Sharpie that I got from Caine (who I ran into when I went to sign - he was in a golf cart and had also driven over for this specific purpose), but the Sharpie was actually a little too big to write my quote legibly. 

So I went over to the table on the side to procure one of the rainbow Sharpies they had available.  I chose classic black and ended up signing the beam on the top part of the bottom horizontal beam, (above pictured as the beam right behind the one in the foreground).

Here's a close-up of what I signed, courtesy of my friend Tim's suggestion:


However, for posterity, I want to record the text message conversation Tim and I had when we discussed what I should write on the beam:

Jade: Hey! I'm going to Disney tomorrow to sign one of the beams that will form the tallest part of the new star wars land. I don't know what to write or sign, though so I figured I could turn to the resident star wars expert! I'd love to have it be something Douglass related and/or cool and obscure from the films!

Tim: What the heck! That’s crazy! If it’s going to form the tallest part you could write something about the high ground

Lol yeah! It's a cast member offer to "be part of history" haha - I normally wouldn't but I know Douglass has had a lot of good memories related to the park and star wars so I knew I had to go! I'll take a pic

I’ll let you know if I think of anything better/more Douglass-specific

Lol yeah! It's a cast member offer to "be part of history" haha - I normally wouldn't but I know Douglass has had a lot of good memories related to the park and star wars so I knew I had to go! I'll take a pic. You'll have to spell out a quote for me from your amassed sources lol high ground is too vague

Great. I’ll have my Star Wars thinking cap on

Figured you'd be the man for the job haha

As if said cap is not permanently affixed to my head

Was it ever off? Lol literally sent at the same time

HA

Feel free to involve the other guys if you want, I just figured to go straight to the most concentrated source like a dying man looking for a fresh spring

Haha as one should

Also wondering if I should sabotage star wars beam with some obscure Bowie

Nope. I would maybe accept that George Lucas quote about David Bowie.  A compromise, if you will

OR I could write about Major Tom to ground control!

Not the same. Don’t do it

And then write an epic story where he meets Luke Skywalker? (It sounds like a poorly thought out fanfiction nightmare ). Got it. Will work on my fanfiction tonight. Will update tomorrow on progress.

Nope nope nope. Bahahah

Don't worry. I'll include Waller seeing Bowies ship or whatever that joke is lol

The joke is merely Waller saying “I saw your ship!”.  Pretty versatile

Excellent. Should I cite you as a co writer and/Or contributor?

I can be anonymous

Although I want to point out my first choice was to write on it a Star Wars-Bowie-Doctor Who-Star Trek cross over fanfic, with major contributions given by Tim, but there wasn't enough room on the beam. So for posterity, I'll copy a draft of it below:
And so Major Tom floated peacefully away from earth. He had sent a distress signal, but knew no one was around to receive it. He slowly closed his eyes as he accepted the fact that there was nothing he could do to escape the crushing loneliness before his imminent demise when suddenly -
THUD!!
'What the -?!' Major Tom thought when -
BANG!!
Quickly, Major Tom scrambled to the window of his ship. Peering out he saw that he had hit, or rather crashed, into a strange looking circular vessel. Wondering what it could be, he decided to leave his little tin can of a ship to explore it. But before he could, he vanished, reappearing in the hull of a high tech ship.
"Good work, Scotty," A handsome, brown haired man with a strange looking gun on his hip said, patting his fellow in a red shirt on the back.
"I know, Han," the younger Scottish man cheekily replied.
'Wait - Scottish? He wasn't the first Brit to venture into space?' Major Tom wondered.
"Hello there!" A new face greeted. Major Tom turned around to inspect the new fellow he hadn't immediately seen. He was also tall - taller than him - with a large smile on his clean shaven face, "We picked up a distress call, and figured we could help! I saw your ship - very retro - it definitely looks a little worse for wear!"
The enthusiastic greeting overwhelmed Major Tom, unsure of where he was or what to do next.
"Erm, hello. My name is Major Tom. Thank you for rescuing me, Mr...?"
"Waller!" The tall, smiling man pronounced eagerly, "Nice to meet you, Major. You don't look like you're from around these parts."
"No, I don't think I am," Major Tom agreed, "I'm from England on the planet earth -"
"Agch! England, you say?" the man named Scotty interrupted, "You wouldn't happen to have any fine Scottish whiskey on you, would -"
"Leave him alone Scotty. The poor man looks dazed and confused enough as it is," a bright eyed man in a brown pinstriped suit interrupted, "Hello, nice to meet you. I'm the Doctor - or at least, that's what everyone calls me around here. Let me show you around..."
TBC

Oh my God, I thought you were joking.

🚀😄

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha. I really really wish there had been a way to write out this fan fic on the beam. How amazing would that have been?

    ReplyDelete