Friday, November 17, 2017

Life Highlights: Temp Gigs

View from the lobby
I have officially decided I am much better suited to receptionist and office work than anything the restaurant industry has to offer.  I may have to work "longer hours" (and by that I mean a more typical 8-9 hour day rather than a meager 5 hours), but the hourly rate is significantly higher, the physical demands on my body significantly lower, the down time to work on other projects is significantly increased, the temperament of coworkers is significantly improved, and the overall quality of life is radically better.

Although being "the temp" is akin to perpetually being the new kid on the block, the ability to have flexible hours and get insight into a ton of different companies is definitely invaluable.  This may be only my official "second gig" as a temp, but I wouldn't mind if this one was my actual job.  Being a receptionist at Sony/ATV seems like a nice "entry level" position - not too strenuous (insofar as having major deadlines and projects that you have to take home), you're still in the industry (this time it's for music publishing, but it's still entertainment, generally), and it's fairly self-directed and sufficient.  I don't have to report to anyone, I have my own desk, and I am pretty much left to fend for myself.  Not to mention I have a simply gorgeous view overlooking Downtown/Lower Manhattan - in essence, this would be my ideal entry-level position.

It's also great to see more of the business side of entertainment, as per usual, and get an inside look at the inner workings of the whole shee-bang.  Not to mention that I get to play whatever music I want in the lobby, and, really, that is a major bonus (although for fans of my blog, alas, it's not Bowie 24/7 as we're supposed to play "current" or "new" music that the company is publishing).  Which, speaking of, I found a book in the lobby which was internally published that listed their "world's greatest song collections" and HOLY SMOKES! I had no idea that Sony ATV (and EMI) owned the publishing rights to so many classic hits and modern marvels.

Of course, the main players which caught my eyes were: The Beatles and David Bowie.  Which, speaking of the former, the first thing that immediately caught my eye in the work space was a beautiful print of the Fab Four by Terry O'Neill (rock photographer extraordinaire who also captured Bowie during the mid-seventies, most famously during his Diamond Dogs period).  I could instantly tell it was an original, and upon closer examination I was correct - a limited run of "The Beatles Backyard".  Most of O'Neill's prints run for a few thousand dollars, and this one is no exception.  Except, that because it is a limited print, there's not even a price listed.  So it's pretty safe to assume that their pretty wall art (that they have just sitting here by the receptionist desk) costs as much as two months' rent.  Impressive, to say the least.  And I desperately covet it (and all the other memorabilia and music-related decorations that line every office and work space here).

Aside from the excitement I have at the general office space and the company, everyone here is extremely nice and there's lots of free (yummy) snacks and drinks hidden in every nook and cranny of this place (my favourite thing by far).  However, after a short tour of the facilities, I quickly realised every person in this office is a senior level executive or director or vice president of something or other.  Although, I should've probably taken the hint from the fact that the CEO's "corner office", as it were, is literally located just down the hallway from me.  Not to mention that there's a TON of collaborative spaces for song writing, relaxing, and generally taking everything in.  One guy who came in here was super funny, was clearly friendly with the receptionist (and everyone else), and generally a pleasant face to meet.  I come to find that he is a co-writer on the song "Cheers (Drink to That)" performed by Rhianna.

The fact that everyone here seems to be kind and genuinely interested in the well-being of everyone else here (from the assistants and receptionist to the executive directors) is just icing on the cake that I would love to work somewhere like here.  And the receptionist who I'm replacing for a few days is just as kind and interesting as everyone else here.  I really wish that this was the office I worked in every day (or at least something like it).

Below, I offer my Spotify playlist inspired by the book's listing of every Bowie song they own the rights to (hint, it's pretty much almost every major player in the game):

https://open.spotify.com/user/pieces_of_jade/playlist/2XFBIYktKeTdWlf3tyC9wo?si=BXpRGCXLT4637iPUKODjqg

No comments:

Post a Comment