Thursday, August 17, 2017

Life Highlights: Sh*t Happens

My snapchat with a room update today - this is my personal hell.

Packed and did laundry for three hours this morning before going straight to a super busy eleven-hour shift at work today.  So suffice it to say, I'm throughly exhausted.  And rather without anything super interesting or coherent to write about.  So instead, here are some bullet points about today:

  • You want family who will stick with you through shit.  And Manar literally did so today with me as I opened our front door to find actual faeces on our doorstep.  There was quite a bit of it, rather watery, and definitely looked like a human's.  Absolutely disgusting and it smelled so bad that it went through the front door to permeate our entire apartment.  Together we cleaned it up - if nothing else, this was a clear sign it's time for us to move out of our neighbourhood!
  • I officially finished taking down all of my posters, framed works, etc. and cleaned out all the drawers in my bed, wardrobe, and cabinet.  Now all that's left to do is clear out the common spaces and still figure out what I should donate and what I should keep.  I'm trying to be brutal, but clearly I'm a hoarder.  Mainly because I'm worried I'll need what I'm giving away after moving across the country, and as a result I'll have to buy a "new" one of whatever it was with my non-existent money.
  • I added another name to the "List of Inaccurate Names" I've been called over the phone with various patrons.  Now the count is up to the following: Jane, Jay, Jake, Judy, Faith, Dave, and now...Jan.  Could be worse - Jan is my grandma's name so that's not too bad.  By far my favourites have been Faith (when I repeated it and spelled it to the woman five different times before I just said "sure" - she even spelled it back to me after I said "J-A-D-E" and she replied with "F-A-I-T-H") and Dave (sure, I can be Daveeee-id Bowie).
  • I officially signed the roommate agreement for my apartment today! So now all I'm doing is waiting to hear back.  Everything looks great, fair and extremely reasonable.  I still can't believe what a steal I'm getting on the apartment.  I'm barely paying double for what I currently pay for rent in a prime, safe waterfront location in the middle of Manhattan.  I'm shook.
  • I just realised how little time I still have in California.  I felt so guilty - Ike thought we were supposed to hang out today and planned an outing for us because I confirmed that I didn't work today.  When in reality I actually worked today, but cleared tomorrow for him.  I never really mix-up dates (that's more Ike than me in our professional relationship) and I knew how difficult it was for him to clear everything.  Luckily he was able to make it so that we are still able to hang out tomorrow (Praise God!), but when trying to reschedule I realised that I really don't have that much time left in So Cal! Tomorrow I'll be with Ike, then Friday it's work and going to Disney with Manar before Saturday where I work both jobs.  Then next week I'll be in Oregon for three days before working both jobs Wednesday-Saturday (mixed with seeing Alex on Thursday and hanging out with my Douglass friends on Friday before picking up my mom from the airport on Saturday).  Then after that it's my last week in California as my mom and I help Manar move to her new place in Los Angeles (I'm so proud of her!) before I take off! And I still need to try to make time to see my brother, niece, and nephew, Anna, and Dr. Wright before I go! Too much to do with too little time I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment