Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Life Highlights: Solar Eclipse

Eclipse madness today! I was blessed enough to be in Salem, Oregon with my mom and two best friends when it happened  (a site of total solar eclipse coverage) and honestly it was extremely surreal. All the hype didn't compare to how awe inspiring and incredible the sight actually was. I have no idea what places with partial (even 90% coverage) looked like, but TOTALITY was incredible.

I hope to never forget the sheer wonder I felt in the moment - it was totally disorienting and humbling to consider the power of the cosmos. The context clues of shadows were all wrong and it was actually unsettling (evening lighting coming from the wrong part of the sky), and the air felt colder. What I did not expect was how just a little bit of sunlight (even a 1% sliver) really made a difference. It wasn't dark until 100% coverage happened.

My mom pointed out how darkness (little by little) can cover up the light but we don't realise it until it's totally overtaken (or have special glasses to help us see it). But at the same time, even 1% of the sun that wasn't covered by the moon made a huge difference and lit up the world. Scientifically and philosophically mind blowing for sure. Here are some pictures to celebrate:

Solar Eclipse Shenanigans

I always try to steal the spotlight (in an eclipse and in our friendship)

#blessup
Catching the last vestiges of the eclipse

No comments:

Post a Comment