Sunday, September 17, 2017

David Bowie: Glass Spider Tour

Bowie performing during the Glass Spider tour of 1987

Spent a relaxing Sunday in after church watching movies and taking a two hour nap.

Of import was that I finished watching Bowie's Glass Spider tour from 1987 (the entire thing is on YouTube). This is the third Bowie concert I've watched in its entirety after of course Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs (what footage is left from "Cracked Actor"). Although universally accepted as his worst concert and erase by critics and fans alike (one comment I read said that someone actually walked out of the concert when they attended it live years ago), I think that the title is woefully misplaced.

Glass Spider may be unashamedly "80s" in both sound and style (just look at that hair for a start), but the theatricality, choreography, style, and general production value both in the concert itself and the concert film are quite modern. Concerts today have their origins and thanks to tours like Bowie's for what they are (even though he himself didn't look favourably on the era years later).

One day I plan on writing a larger piece defending the era to fans, critics, and Bowie himself, but for now here's one of the best articles I've had the pleasure of reading about the charm of the era (which is in my Top 5 Bowie Eras).


No comments:

Post a Comment