Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Life Highlights: Temp Work Day 1

Justice League Activation in London had an amazing Easter Egg that I saw on Twitter yesterday which has nothing to do with this post other than the fact that I want to share it
Today I got my first call for some temp work at a make-up company! It was definitely an interesting experience.

I went to fill in for a switchboard person (which I didn't realise still existed), and it was interesting to see what it's like to answer phones on the other side of the line. A lot of people, like anywhere you work with the public, were a mixed bag. But the woman I worked with named Mena was extremely lovely. She was super welcoming, kind, and helpful - I wish every workplace had one of her and that my future workplaces will.

The job itself was relatively easy and it was definitely better on my body since I didn't have to be on my feet the entire time, or be out at all hours of the morning/night. I hope to have more work like this come my way as a temporary placeholder before I work in media properly.

Above all I want to get back to creating art (and being inspired by my favourite art[ists]). And I've been so tired and sick (emotionally and physically) lately that both God and Bowie haven't been enough to move me into creating. It also took me longer than usual to remember which specific Bowie performance of his song "The Man Who Sold the World" was stuck in my head tonight (finally realising it was the SNL 1979 gig, which is why my subconscious kept thinking of ISOLAR II even though he never performed it on tour, instead of what I kept thinking it was consciously - from his Reality Tour).

All of these things were some deeply troubling revelations to me today, but with the promise of temp work (with their more flexible hours that still pay okay) my ability to create in between gigs is still preserved.

God, I really need to read a good philosophy book or have a good conversation with someone. I feel drained rather than energized like I was when I first moved here two months ago. But hopefully this will all pass soon enough (just like my sickness and the gloomy weather).

No comments:

Post a Comment