Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Life Highlights: Drabble 5

[Not an accurate representation of the current New York spring weather]
I can't believe it's only Tuesday (6th day, 2nd week of my time here - I feel like a prison in-mate counting down the days).  Finally I'm starting to get some more work my way regarding re-scheduling meetings, booking conference rooms, and that sort of thing.  However, in between the work is the same monotony of waiting for the clock to tick on by.  That being said, it's not like it would be much different if I was at my flat instead of at work.  I'm quite frugal (out of necessity) so it's not like I would be off gallivanting on extravagant trips abroad.  Perhaps the main difference is just that I wouldn't have to be out of my pjs.

In other news, my mom sent me some great photo collage wall art pieces that are now proudly split between my office and my room, which are rather exciting to have.  They remind me of all the good times I was on vacation with my friends (or at least weekend plans).  I am once again confronted with the odd reality which is that a 9-5 has no vacations the length that school children/teachers or freelancers enjoy.  After I see Todd and Annaliese in a month, I will have no scheduled vacation until Thanksgiving, which seems entirely too far away.  I think that I will have to plan for a getaway before then, otherwise I will go crazy with the monotony and the routine.

I was actually hoping this month to get to go home for Rhody Days before this new job opportunity popped up, and the fact that my friend Marine is visiting.  Otherwise, my friends Theodora and Jordan are also coming to visit the last week of June which will be lovely.  They're staying with Theo's family, so I'll probably get to see them for a dinner or two and the weekend.  And my friend Nolan might be coming in early June to the City, which I would be extremely delighted about.

But the only other things to stave away the monotony thus far seem to be reminding myself of the Ultimate Goal and that this job is temporary.  By the end of next year I hope to have moved on to be in the exact department I want to be in and be one step closer to being a producer.  I also hope to have saved up some money and a shiny new script - completed - in my back pocket.

It's also nice to remind myself that I'm still technically hired by my staffing agency, so if I wanted to terminate this position earlier than actually converting to full-time, that's still on the books.  That's not to say that I would, since obviously being full-time with benefits would be the ideal, but to know that it's my choice what I'm doing with my time is nice to remember.  Especially as I think back to the advantages (somewhat) of freelance, in which you have the most control over your time.  It reminds me of a CGP Grey video in which he said he was always more attracted to the jobs which allow you to have more control over your time.  One day, perhaps, I will be able to be a freelance producer and have control over that element all on my own.

Aside from work, everything else seems to be going relatively well - minus the fact that it's April and there was snow yesterday, and that with the warmer weather the cockroaches seem to be coming out of the woodworks.  The exterminator needs to come back again pronto.  If the rent wasn't so great I would've moved out by now.

My birthday is in two days, and Michiru and I are planning on going to the Met on Saturday afternoon for some birthday celebrations, which will be nice.  And hopefully I'll also get to hear from Ike some time this week, but I can't say that I'm holding my breath either (at least before the weekend).  But today I was blessed with having the good fortune to hear from Hayden.  Hayden and I go way back to elementary school, and I reached out to him yesterday for some help regarding a script I'm developing.  He responded this morning, and it was extremely nice to hear from him again.

And that's about it for now.  Still trying to get the hang of everything and figuring out where meaning can be derived from in a position which, on the outside may seem like the dream come true, but on the inside the daily monotony is rather abhorrent.  Just 457 more days (or 90 weeks or 21 more months) until the last day of 2019 in which I will once again be on the move.

No comments:

Post a Comment