Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Wardrobe of Moral Imagination: Chart Addition


So the other day I was inspired by this Buzzfeed post to track how often I talk with my friends.  Obviously, this is just my "Top 10" list, but there are a few other people I could include as well that also need to be charted.

I don't normally participate in Buzzfeed activities, but this one was quite useful.  Since it was the end of May, I took the opportunity to reflect on the month and I was rather surprised by what I learned.

Firstly, I took the idea to the next level by also colour-coding the way that I talk with people (text, facebook messenger, etc.), and I was surprised to learn that traditional texting is still more predominant than other messaging platforms.  Although, because I didn't save all my Snapchat correspondence when it happened, I could potentially use that app more than the chart reflects.

Secondly, I was also intrigued by the fact that I actually do contact my inner circle regularly - the only difference is the frequency and depth of conversation.  Obviously a texting conversation was less "in depth", in terms of the subject material we talked about and length that we talked about it, rather than a phone call.  However, phone calls were obviously less frequent than texting too.

And thirdly, I was interested to realise that although I don't feel like I "talk" with some friends, I actually communicate with them quite frequently - and vis versa.  Some people I feel like I talk with a lot, I actually only talk to about once a month (which is pretty much the same no matter who it is).

So in short, I would also recommend graphing your communications so you know where exactly you stand in terms of your friends and keeping up with them.  It really is easy to let life distract you from talking with your friends and staying up to date, so this is a good way to keep yourself accountable to all of your meaningful relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment