Sunday, July 30, 2017

Life Highlights: Restful Weekend

Cecy and me at California Adventure today

I don't feel like writing anything extensive today, so I'll just highlight the three things I did this weekend.

1) Yesterday afternoon I got coffee with Jake at Lift.  It was really lovely to chat and get to know him better.  We talked about moving to New York, our perspectives on art, making and listening to music, and what we both hoped to do after graduation.  I hope to be able to have more chances to connect with him - we're very similar from what I can tell, and he's an excellent listener.

2) Yesterday evening Ike and I made dinner.  Originally we were going to make it at his house, but we decided to come over to mine instead.  We went to the shop to get things for my favourite dish - chicken and rice casserole.  Then we came back to my flat to cook.  It was really fun to cook with Ike - we talked about lots of different things, I showed him how to make it, and I played a lot of my favourite music while we cooked.  He liked the song "Private Eyes" by Hall & Oates - he had never heard it before!

He also told me that he was listening to the Classic Rock station the other day and heard a Bowie song and he felt a connection with it! I was obviously over the moon.  I asked him if he finally understood why I love Bowie so much - the sense that in his work you feel connected with him - you're understood, and that his work gives you hope about the future.  And he did! He said he felt a weird sort of connection as an artist he had never experienced before.  Of course, this set me off into talking about what I previously addressed in my Lazarus Rant.

We then decided to walk around for a while before he headed out and we wandered into Half Books.  Apparently, he had never been, and while we were in there I found a David Bowie Is book!! I told Ike that I had been low key coveting one for years, and this was the first time I had seen one in the flesh! I then proceeded to tell him about my tragic experience - my ultimate regret - of not going to see the exhibit when I was in London AT THE TIME IT PREMIERED.  I had thought it was a bit expensive to see something that I wasn't deeply interested in (I only had a passing pop culture knowledge of Bowie in 2013 - I knew he was "That Guy Who Sang 'Under Pressure' With Queen") - and I swear it was only like £10.  I have regretted it ever since (it's still touring around the world).  So to see the merch for it was both an exciting and painful experience.  I then proceeded to flip through the pages and I told Ike what every single picture from every single page I turned to meant - what it was, what era in Bowie's chronology, the significance of the piece, my personal opinion about it all, etc.  Bless him for humouring me and appearing genuinely interested.  He also laughed at the fact that I knew what the book was without ever reading it.

3) Today after work my work bestie Cecy and I were going to go to Disneyland, but a family event came up so we decided just to get lunch instead.  BUT instead of going out, it was our co-worker Ellen's birthday today! So we were "fed" and got to eat the food they put out on the line at the restaurant.  Totally worth it to stick around for some free food! Then Cecy and I decided to wander around California Adventure Park for a bit - she also generously bought us some Starbucks - before we headed out.  And of course, part of our trip included relaxing in the Conference Centre in the Grand and using the bathroom there (it's become a tradition at this point for us).

And that was it! Those were my weekend highlights.  Hopefully I'll get more energy later this week to write something more extensive either for Bowie or Current Contemplations, but I doubt it.  This week is JAM PACKED with work work WORK so it will probably be short blurbs like this until the 6th!

No comments:

Post a Comment