Monday, August 14, 2017

Current Contemplation: Proust Questionnaire


Lack of inspiration, time, and energy led me to this writing choice today - questionnaire answer time! I remembered back in the mid-2000s when Internet surveys were popular and I was inspired to post another one this evening, since I rarely do these sorts of things nowadays.  Of course had to Bowie-ize it by answering a truncated version of the Proust Questionnaire (just like him in 1998)! If you don't want to click over to the link, his answers will be in italics, and mine will be in roman.  Although I stand by my answers, mine are definitely not nearly as witty as his!

"The Proust Questionnaire has its origins in a parlor game popularized (though not devised) by Marcel Proust, the French essayist and novelist, who believed that, in answering these questions, an individual reveals his or her true nature." - Vanity Fair

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Glorifying God.

Reading.

What is your most marked characteristic?
Sarcasm (surplus thereof) or height (lack thereof).

Getting a word in edgewise.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Learning how to ask questions.

Discovering morning.

What is your greatest fear?
Failure.

Converting kilometers to miles.

Which historical figure do you most identify with?
"Doubting" Thomas.

Santa Claus.

Which living person do you most admire?
Bowie.

Elvis.

Who are your heroes in real life?
My mother, my sister, Dr. Wright.

The consumer.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Rigidity.

While in New York, tolerance. Outside of New York, intolerance.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Flexibility.

Talent.

What is your favorite journey?
Spiritual enlightenment.

The road of artistic excess.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Tolerance.

Sympathy and originality.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
"Snake"

Chthonic, miasma.

What is your greatest regret?
Never visiting the "David Bowie Is" exhibit when it debuted in 2013 while I was in London.

That I never wore bell-bottoms.

What is your current state of mind?
Anxious.

Pregnant.

If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?
Distance.

My fear of them (wife and son excluded).

What is your most treasured possession?
My security blanket from when I was a baby and a framed picture of my dad and me.

A photograph held together by cellophane tape of Little Richard that I bought in 1958, and a pressed and dried chrysanthemum picked on my honeymoon in Kyoto.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Whenever I forget to or refuse to trust in the Lord.

Living in fear.

Where would you like to live?
Currently, New York City.

Northeast Bali or south Java.

What is your favorite occupation?
Conversing with others.

Squishing paint about a senseless canvas.

What is the quality you most like in a man?
Authenticity.

The ability to return books.

What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Independence.

The ability to burp on command.

What are your favorite names?
David and Janine.

Sears & Roebuck.

What is your motto?
If it's raining, never use an umbrella.

“What” is my motto.

No comments:

Post a Comment