Sunday, August 20, 2017

Life Highlights: Manar's 23 and Me Results


Today was an exciting day in the Herbert-Jarban household! Manar got her 23 and Me results back tonight and I got to video her reaction to them!

Our mom got her results a few weeks ago - 100% European with little surprises (for her), so she was a tad disappointed in hers (no surprises there!).  But she was awesome and also bought us kits too! Definitely one of the best gifts we've ever gotten - learning more about ourselves!

We found out that she's 94% African and only 2% Middle Eastern! This blew her (and my) mind since she was born and raised in Yemen.  The funniest thing to me was that she is also 0.1% European, which made me think 0 who's the odd one out that's the pasty person?

I'm in awe that technology has allowed us to be able to help us discover more about our bloodlines and ancestry.  It's definitely interesting and exciting for our little family, since none of us are related by blood, to experience a whole new part of our identity.  Manar's currently in a tizzy with the information - according to her, her whole life has been a lie.  Which really, although you can choose to place your identity in many things, blood really is something you can't escape.  I know that for myself, being adopted, I never really took much stock in it (Biblically, I always related more to the spiritual adoption passages in the New Testament rather than the bloodlines in the Old Testament), so this is a whole new territory for me (and Manar) to explore!

I'm still waiting for my results even though we sent them in at the same time, and when I said to Manar that I am hoping to be part Japanese and at least 1% British, she said to me, "God waited for your prayers so He could put your results in".  Sometimes she really has some good zingers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment