Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Current Contemplations: Career Goals

"Somebody asked me the dumbest question, but my God it was hard to answer. They said, ‘Why do you do what you do?’ I thought, ‘Woah, that is an awful question to answer.' And I really had to think about that." - David Bowie
Today I officially made a list of what I want in my career and what I want to give to my career.  This idea was inspired by conversations I've had with my mom and Ike after feeling conflicted and distraught over working at a restaurant again.

I was surprised and pleased to find that the general goal of "why I want to do the thing" hasn't changed all that much, although the specifics have been refined somewhat over the past five years (what a surprise).  The three categories I chose were: 1) Things I Want in a Job 2) Things I Want to Give a Job (inspired by my mom asking what I was willing to give) and 3) "Bowie Goals" (inspired by Ike suggesting that I compare career points/highlights in Bowie's life that I want to emulate).  However, since I'm rather old-fashioned I did it all by hand.  Below is a photograph of what I came up with:


No comments:

Post a Comment