Friday, September 22, 2017

Life Highlights: A Good Friday

My pictures from Chinatown today
It's already super late on the east coast, so just a brief overview of my day today!

Went to Chinatown this morning to snoop around - not even five minutes off the subway and I had an old Asian woman yell at me in Chinese.  I took out my headphones (of course playing "China Girl") and I said, "I'm sorry I don't speak Chinese".  To which she switched over to broken English and asked for directions to which I replied, "I'm sorry I don't live here".  Basically, two fails in one go (really my appearance is false advertising - I might as well look like one of the Caucasian tourists with NY hats and backpacks taking pictures on digital cameras from the mid-2000s that I saw today for all the "help" or "true Asian" that I am).

However, most of my day was delightfully taken up by conversing with my new acquaintance ("park guy" from a few weeks ago), and an old friend (who will always be in my heart "freshman Anna").

I ended up talking with "park guy" for another three hours over coffee.  To have real interaction with another person after weeks of only virtual conversation was like lifeblood to my drained soul.  We talked about anything and everything from art and philosophy to religion and politics to our families and generally what was going on in our lives.  He's an excellent conversation partner, and I was extremely pleased to see our initial meeting a few weeks ago was not a "one-off" encounter.  He even agreed when we parted that meeting strangers usually does not work out as well as our new acquaintanceship has.  I have good vibes about this one, guys.

Then after getting home I chatted with Anna about what has happened this past week (we're officially making "Fridays" our thing).  Of course when we talk it usually ends up being a lot of present-a-problem-solution-oh-wait-now-this-has-morphed-into-talking-about-five-thousand-different-subjects-and-thoughts-and-wow-God-is-pretty-neat-o (which is just how I like it).  So we discussed my recent adventures with "park guy", her school projects, my future career, our relationships with God, and when she's going to come out and visit.  All equally excellent things for my soul (which has been doing a lot of introspective thinking, but not a lot of bouncing ideas off of another person).  Truly she's a gem - excellent feedback (witty and kind - a rare combination) with a deep passion for pursuing God (only the best film-Torrey majors have this kind of quality).

Tomorrow I have a full day of spending money ahead of me! I am going on a hunt for a new wardrobe for my new job and future job (business casual and interview ready).

No comments:

Post a Comment