Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Current Contemplation: Healing Through Bowie and the Bible

Bowie by Markus Klinko, from the Heathen promotional shoot (2002)
Today was a better day thanks to the always lovely Liz. After having a bit of a mental breakdown yesterday, I called her up and we ended up having a four hour long catch-up/therapy session that I really needed. She helped me process how little I've let myself feel over the past few weeks, as I've been so focused on solidering on and getting through everything I've needed to do at work and church (in between being sick in bed).

So today I've decided to let myself feel unashamedly sad. And it's been good to let myself feel. My soundtrack throughout it all has been the incomparable Heathen album, which has been my rock for helping me "just feel" while Liz recommended I pair my listening with Ecclesiastes (NLT version) and it has truly been transformational in mental and emotional healing. And I know I'm back on track because I am once again deeply inspired and moved by both Bowie and the Bible (instead of the apathetic malaise I had been feeling for the past two weeks).

Special quotes I want to highlight:

We don’t remember what happened in the past, and in future generations, no one will remember what we are doing now.
Ecclesiastes 1:11 NLT

For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven. A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest. A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance. A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones. A time to embrace and a time to turn away. A time to search and a time to quit searching. A time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear and a time to mend. A time to be quiet and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate. A time for war and a time for peace. What do people really get for all their hard work? I have seen the burden God has placed on us all. Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end.
Ecclesiastes 3:1‭-‬11 NLT

Even so, I have noticed one thing, at least, that is good. It is good for people to eat, drink, and enjoy their work under the sun during the short life God has given them, and to accept their lot in life. And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life—this is indeed a gift from God. God keeps such people so busy enjoying life that they take no time to brood over the past.
Ecclesiastes 5:18‭-‬20 NLT

Everything has already been decided. It was known long ago what each person would be. So there’s no use arguing with God about your destiny. The more words you speak, the less they mean. So what good are they? In the few days of our meaningless lives, who knows how our days can best be spent? Our lives are like a shadow. Who can tell what will happen on this earth after we are gone?
Ecclesiastes 6:10‭-‬12 NLT

Don’t long for “the good old days.” This is not wise.
Ecclesiastes 7:10 NLT

In my search for wisdom and in my observation of people’s burdens here on earth, I discovered that there is ceaseless activity, day and night. I realized that no one can discover everything God is doing under the sun. Not even the wisest people discover everything, no matter what they claim.
Ecclesiastes 8:16‭-‬17 NLT

I have observed something else under the sun. The fastest runner doesn’t always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn’t always win the battle. The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are not necessarily wealthy. And those who are educated don’t always lead successful lives. It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time. People can never predict when hard times might come. Like fish in a net or birds in a trap, people are caught by sudden tragedy.
Ecclesiastes 9:11‭-‬12 NLT

Young people, it’s wonderful to be young! Enjoy every minute of it. Do everything you want to do; take it all in. But remember that you must give an account to God for everything you do. So refuse to worry, and keep your body healthy. But remember that youth, with a whole life before you, is meaningless.
Ecclesiastes 11:9‭-‬10 NLT

This is our number
All my trials
Lord will be remembered
Everything has changed
"Sunday"

A woman with a feeling, loosing once or twice
Who knows how it could be, be tomorrow
I've been waiting for you
And you've been coming to me
For such a long time now
"I've Been Waiting For You"

When we talk, we talk to you
When we walk, we walk to you
From factory to field
How many tears must fall
Down there below nothing is moving

I might just stop wanting you
I might just stop needing you
I might just stop loving you
I demand a better future
"Better Future"

Steel on the skyline
Sky made of glass
Made for a real world
All things must pass

Waiting for something
Looking for someone
Is there no reason
Have I stared too long

You say you'll leave me
And when the sun is low
And the rays high
I can see it now
I can feel it die
"Heathen  (The Rays)"


No comments:

Post a Comment