Sunday, December 31, 2017

Current Contemplation: Goodbye 2017

"#2017bestnine" Instagram posts

Top 17 Life Events From 2017

1. Starting my internship at a music management company in West Hollywood
2. Planning the Douglass Retreat
3. Consuming art at Hauser & Wirth with Alex
4. Premiering my senior thesis
5. Graduating university
6. Vacationing with family and friends in southern California
7. Visiting Disneyland with Anna
8. Going hiking, to the Simon Norton, and downtown LA with Ike
9. Seeing the eclipse in Oregon
10. Leaving Disney
11. Moving to New York City
12. Meeting my new church family at cccnyc
13. Pilgrimaging to visit all of Bowie's favourite places in Manhattan
14. Getting hired at my first job in SoHo
15. Exploring New York with Manar for her birthday
16. Travelling back to Oregon to celebrate my grandpa's birthday and for an early Christmas with family and friends
17. Receiving two different job interview offers from Sony and HBO

Looking back on 2017, like we all do at the end of a year, has made me realise that the highlights of the year have indeed been extremely high, and how profoundly blessed I have been.

However, that being said, I have been thinking lately of how skewed our perceptions are of both ourselves and our lives both in and out of social media. Obviously our posts only show case our best moments, not our day-to-day existence, and even friends and family in the real world typically only get to hear tidbits of the mundane. Therefore, I tend to think that we believe ourselves and our lives not nearly as interesting as they truly seem to other people.

Thus, I think it's important to also show that the day-to-day of my life is, to me, quite boring most of the time and I, just like everyone else, long frequently for a break in the mundane routine of my existence.

Typical 2017 Day (Pre-Graduation):
Wake up/get ready for the day
Spend two hours in traffic going to Internship
Run errands/browse the Internet at internship
Spend another two hours in traffic going home
Go to the shop
Eat dinner/do laundry/browse the Internet
Plan for various commitments: ie film sets, film premieres, etc.
**variation on this theme would be on alternating days where I went to work instead of my internship

Typical 2017 Day (Post-Graduation):
Wake up/get ready for the day
Go to work (usually doubles at both Disney and the theatre)
Go to the shop/do laundry
Go home/sleep
**variation on this theme would be on the few days I had off in which I would try to do an activity or get dinner with a friend

Typical 2017 Day (Post-Move):
Wake up/get ready for the day
Go to work (previously: at the restaurant, now: if I have an assignment)
Go to the shop/do laundry
Go home/sleep
**variation on this theme would be on the days I have off, in which I either try to explore a new part of the City (weather permitting) or stay home

No comments:

Post a Comment