Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Creative Writing: Character Practice

Wish spring was here
Tonight I tried to encapsulate my best friends in a single word. I wanted to see how I would characterise them, if I could, to one-dimensionalise my very three-dimensional loved ones, and I failed miserably.

When I started trying to think of one word, I had a vague impression, but immediately I wanted to write more and clarify some of my first thoughts a bit better, which I think is an excellent reminder for when we all too often want to dismiss people as unchangeable, two-dimensional Others.

So here are a few excerpts of my thoughts, everything I admire and think of, as related to my top five, in no particular order:

Sister. Incredibly, wickedly street smart and book smart. A natural question-asker, curious, and willing to try anything once. A social chameleon, adaptable to any situation and charm the pants off everyone you meet. You take everything to heart and never forget, even if you pretend like you do, incredibly sensitive to the plight of others. Strong and independent. Like your favourite song that brings back good memories and is a classic hit for any time and any place.

Back up plan. Geeky, sarcastic, and stupidly smart with a work ethic that puts me to shame. Ambitious and competitive. Like a well-worn favourite sweater, familiar and always a good choice for going into battle.

Cool as a cucumber. Filled with the Spirit, content and joyous. Ridiculously talented at anything you put your mind to. A great listener and incredibly insightful. Not to mention hilarious. Like a ship in harbour, at peace with the world and ready for any adventure.

Charismatic. Undeniably intelligent and creative. In possession of a ridiculous work ethic and determination. You're able to converse about anything and everything. Intense and focused, but also a huge dork. Like a masterpiece that opens up your world to a new way of living and inspires you to be better.

My favourite artist. Compassionate and earnest. A great listener. Open-minded and open-hearted. You always share the best advice and the best art work. Sensitive and insightful. Crazy smart and crazy kind. Like a warm cup of tea, comforting and just the right remedy to feel better after a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment