Monday, April 30, 2018

Wardrobe of Moral Imagination: "My Head is an Animal" Addition


Since the Bowie obsession has gone down to a simmer rather than a raging inferno, the other main album that's been in my rotation has been "My Head is an Animal" by Of Monsters and Men (released in 2012).  I was really obsessed with this album back during my freshman spring semester of college.  I still remember playing it on loop as I broke down budgets in my Production Management class (along with "The Lumineers" by The Lumineers, also released in 2012).

But there's just something about revisiting this album that feels like home again.  They're an Icelandic band, and their single "Little Talks" is what put them on the map in the US.  But the whole album is incredible, and every single official music video and lyric video is absolutely stunning.  Lots of beautiful black and white/muted colour mythical/fantastical imagery that brings to mind Scandinavian folklore combined with a new type of mythology that create a mystical whole.

It's exactly the type of fantastical content I want to create.  The stunning visuals contribute to the intrigue of the topics as a whole, and even the lyric videos decide to continue to build upon the world they've already introduced the audience to.  I also love that the lyrics have a Bowie-esque "cut-up" feel to them, with a fantastical dystopian - steampunk, myth, and timeless visuals.  That, combined with the obscure lyrics that only gives the audience a taste of what's going on, makes for a truly mesmerizing treat.

Below I've assembled all of the videos in order of how they appear on the album.  Do yourself a favour and go through all of them.

"Dirty Paws"

"King And Lionheart"

"Mountain Sound"


"Slow And Steady"


"From Finner"


"Little Talks"


"Six Weeks"


"Love Love Love"


"Your Bones"


"Sloom"


"Lakehouse"


"Yellow Light"

No comments:

Post a Comment