Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Life Highlights: Drabble 14


Started getting back into the swing of things again with my reading list (after essentially dropping off the face of the earth in January), and I decided to take a crack at The Brothers Karamazov once again! Hoping to set myself a schedule like I used to do at university to make sure I actually finish it within a decent time frame (two weeks) and also so I can discuss it with my new friend who told me it was his favourite book! Luckily, I also already had plans to read it!

So far it's pretty good! Only about 50 pages in, but like most Russian novels I've had the pleasure to read it's witty, insightful, and a clear masterpiece just from the opening sentence:

"Alexey Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner of our district, who became notorious in his own day (and is still remembered among us) because of his tragic and myserious death, which occurred exactly thirteen years ago and which I shall relate in its proper place."

The back blurb didn't need to convince me of it's already intricate themes regarding family, religion, politics/society, and what it means to be human - just within it's first few pages.  I can't wait to see what I think by the end of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment