Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Life Highlights: Memorial Day Weekend

The Atlantic as seen from Rockaway Beach (it was hard to get a photo without a person in it!)

Well I'm officially back from Memorial Day Weekend, and already feeling blue about it!

The weather seriously didn't get the memo that the weekend was Saturday-Monday, as the only properly decent weather was on Friday and Saturday.  Sunday and Monday it was cloudy and a little cold, but last Thursday and today it's nice and sunny - perfect summer weather.

However, that doesn't mean I didn't try to take advantage of what I could.  Friday I left at 2pm (almost no one was in the office - it felt like a proper summer holiday weekend) and then I got dinner with a friend and walked around a park afterwards, enjoying the nice summer night.

Saturday I went to Rockaway Beach, which I actually liked less than Coney Island mainly because it was so much farther away and it seemed a lot smaller to me.  However, it was great to go and experience anyway - the iconic Ramones song blasting away in my headphones all the while.  Not to mention that the water was crystal clear (I was super surprised) and I got to talk with Ike on the phone, write in my journal, and just take in the sea breeze and the sun.  Ike and I even decided to start a writing project together in which we exchange pieces each week regarding a theme word of the month! This month I chose the word to be "Reconciliation".

Sunday was a day of rest where I just coloured in a colouring book, ran a few errands, and then stayed up until 3:30am talking with my friend Liz on the phone for over 9 straight hours (not an exaggeration!) - we only call each other once a month because if we did any more we would never get anything done! I always anticipate our Sunday calls, and this one was a huge catch-up call because she didn't have youth group that night and it was Memorial Day weekend so I didn't have to go into work the next day, which was nice.  The main problem for me is just the time difference!

Then yesterday I had a really great day going out with a friend.  We went to my favourite park, looked at some street art, ate sandwiches, and looked around at the Strand (one of my favourite book stores).  We actually lost track of time because we were so engrossed in all the different titles (of course I ended up buying two books), and found out later that we spent around 5 straight hours in the shop! We both couldn't believe it, and obviously decided to go back home after we found out the time was 8pm at night! Then I got to catch up with my friend Anna before going back to the grind today.

The only consolation by far is that it's only 3.5 days this week, since Tues-Thurs are normal hours, but summer Fridays have officially started at HBO, meaning that I get to leave at 3pm! And this week I have plans to hang out again on Friday (and hopefully take advantage of some good weather!)

I also can't believe that June 1st is this Friday! Where has the time gone? Summer will be over before I know it and then Todd will be in Boston!

No comments:

Post a Comment