Monday, September 4, 2017

Life Highlights: Day 2 of Playing Tourist

Clockwise from Top: Enjoying hot dogs in Central Park, Us in front of the teeny tiny Statue of Liberty (overexposed - bleh), Us in front of the South Pool commemorating the Twin Towers (it didn't feel right to smile)
Got a lot done today! Went back up to my apartment after getting a quick bagel on the way to the subway station. We went to Target and Marshalls to get a few more items before going back to finish hanging my posters, putting away my clothes, and a few more finishing touches. My room is DEFINITELY coming together and it looks great! I can't wait for it to be done, and I'll post a picture once it is!
Part of Central Park that we saw today
Afterwards we decided to play tourist for a bit, so we decided to take advantage of the great weather and walked to Central Park! The park was HUGE! When we walked in the middle of it, it was like the entire city disappeared! Then we got hot dogs (and some great chicken and rice) before we claimed a bench to people watch all the families also taking advantage of the beautiful day. The park was HUGE!


We were going to go to the Met before we realised it was already past 14:00, so instead we went back Downtown to Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (from a distance) - and so I could blast "New Killer Star" while filming the park. This last part was pretty critical since "Reality" is my ninth favourite Bowie album of all time, and whenever the opening plays I want to go wander Battery Park blasting the song.

Absolutely stunning and moving tribute to the victims of 9/11 - this was the South Pool where the tower once stood
Then we went to see the 9/11 Memorial since it was so close by. Last time Manar and I came it was closed for construction, so I was really happy I was able to see it this time. It was a pretty somber experience, and I was extremely moved by the whole memorial. My mom and I shared each other's remembrances of the day, and how it was crazy to think we were in the spot it happened on. Especially because we saw a huge central post office literally across the street from ground zero. We couldn't even imagine what it must have been like for people who actually knew people in New York City at the time - just being a fellow American was enough.
On the wooden escalators from when Macy's first opened
 After a while we decided we had enough of our serious mood and chose to lighten it by going to the first ever Macy's. I got two new pairs of good walking shoes and we got to see the original wooden escalators from 1902 when it opened! Then we went to get some dinner before heading on back to my mom's place in East Village (and walked past the Empire State Building on the way!).
My mom in front of the Empire State Building
So all in all a great second day playing tourist (minus some sore feet - we walked 10 miles today!)

No comments:

Post a Comment