Sunday, September 3, 2017

Life Highlights: First Day in New York

Caffe Reggio, a reported favourite breakfast place of David Bowie's
"I'm not really a believer in art and music being institutionalised or put in galleries and stuff like that. I think art is something *for* the *use* of the public. It's for the public to interpret it and use it almost like a sustenance for life." -David Bowie

Caffe Reggio, a reported favourite of Bowie's, was where we had breakfast this morning.  This cafe embodied my (and Bowie's) philosophical views on art (see opening quote). In it there were beautiful works of Italian art from the Renaissance period - free for you to look at - hanging on the walls, a Florentine bench you could sit on, and an original espresso machine from 1902 - all still in use as functional decor. It also included Handel's Messiah casually playing in the background and a great breakfast. I was close to crying with happiness that such a place that embodies everything I want to do with and love about art exists.

View from my new bedroom window!
Then we went to go check out my new digs in East Harlem. Our driver on the way over gave me a sermon about praying and listening to God. It was amazing to see and hear of another person's faith and openness to talk about such a topic. In fact, although the stereotype is that New Yorkers are rude, I've so far found just the opposite to be true. Everyone here is extremely optimistic and friendly, but at the same time willing to give you space and not talk to you if you don't want to. My favourite kind of people!

As to my actual place, all I can say is: Wow-ie!! It's even better than I imagined, and my roommate and her family are even kinder and more generous than I could ever have hoped for. We have great chemistry and I think I am going to be really happy here. Literally the entire time we conversed, my mom and I couldn't believe how much we all just "clicked" and how God doesn't just "deliver", but comes in full clutch with faithful prayer. Kiana and her mom are some of the kindest people I have ever met in my entire life, and I hope one day I will be able to repay the favour.

And finally, I can't tell you how much it means to me knowing all of you back home have been praying and rooting for me all along. It's pretty damn amazing. Tomorrow we are going to finish setting up my new pad before going off to explore some more of the city. So this was only a short update since we have so much to do tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you for taking this huge and somewhat scary step in life! Keep posting your story, cuz it's pretty amazing! Robin

    ReplyDelete